Saturday, August 31, 2013

Give us your best pull

The sun was trying to peek out as a group of 8 assembled for a quick blast to Batavia. We had Mark, Mike Davis, Jeff, Carlos, Dan, Paul from 459, and Steve from DGBC joined us as well. As soon as got out of Downers, it started raining. Mark complained. It rained hard. Mark whined. The roads had puddles. We rode. Mark rode and questioned why we do this.  After a few miles, it didn't matter because we couldn't really get any wetter. We were soaked. Besides it was a warm rain.

After the neutral zone, Dan and Jeff got on the front of the double line and put on an impressive display of power, and consistency. They kept the pace high enough that nobody seemed interested in coming around and pulling. The group got quiet trying to keep up. Even Mark was silent. We hit a lot of green lights and Dan and Jeff just kept us moving... around 23-24mph mostly. I was having one of those rides where I swear my brakes were rubbing. The point of the ride was for everyone to get on front on put in a good, hard pull... but the Dan n Jeff show is just too great to watch on their wheels. I finally sucked it up and headed for the front at 25-26mph. It took a bit, but the group took the bait and caught up with me. And, as expected, someone just had to come over the top... but to my surprise it was Jeff! He's been primarily on the front and he's the rider that comes over me and sets 29-30mph pace for a bit. When Jeff backs down to 27ish, the rest of the group pounces and the fun is ON! Next thing I know, I hanging on the back!  Good stuff. By my clock it took just over an hour DG-Batavia. Great effort by the team (the Jeff and Dan team!)

After a rest/refuel at Dimples, we head back and I immediately get dropped on that little climb coming out of Batavia. We stopped toooo long and I wasn't warmed up. oops I forgot to the emphasize the warmup/neutral zone/Paul is a slug after a stop rule. Anyhow, I chase for a few miles until the group finally hits a red light. Once we got unto Bilter/Ferry/Warrenville heading east, we had a slight quartering headwind and an angry looking storm cloud over our left shoulder. The group settled into a single line... again with Dan and Jeff on the front a lot... but I noticed that everyone took a pull during the return trip. With a light rain, it was hard to tell if it was indeed raining or just spray from the wheels. Today was a day to be on the front and save a face full of spray. Mark whined that he didn't like riding with me. We kept the pace 21-22mph on the way back, keeping the storm cloud at bay except when it gained on us at the stop lights. Mark questioned our sanity whenever we stopped. Mike did a great job pacing us up the Warrenville hill, and then Mark the climber took over. The group formation got scattered a bit, but we mostly stayed together on the climb and reformed on the way down. Fortunately, we got back into DG before a tremendous downpour and some lightening hit. I pray every one got home safely.

Scott provided: http://www.strava.com/activities/78923210

No comments:

Post a Comment