Sunday, June 13, 2010

Had a nice solo ride this morning. Very rarely do I ride alone, but most of the club members were at big organized rides, my local buds were busy, and in a rare mood for me, I wanted to ride solo.

About 15km into the ride, I hooked up with two other men, and talked with them a bit, and then led them for a while. Eventually, one of the riders came around and took the lead. And sped up an mile an hour. About the time we latched unto this speed, he clicked another cog, and sped up another mile an hour, then another. He held this for a fair bit, and then slowly started coming down in speed back to the pace I had been setting to begin with.

I think it is predominately a guy thing that causes them to speed up on the front.

Anyhow, I took over again and set pace for several miles, this time 1 mph faster than before. Guessing that rabbit boy wanted to go faster. Eventually, he comes around and again sets a faster pace for a bit, slows down and flicks his elbow. I come around and pull the last 1/4 mile before a little hill I like to sprint up. It's a good spot to air it out a bit because there is a long stop light over the other side, and a group can reorganize. I do my usual thing, eliciting a 175bpm pulse (out of 190 max) and coast down the backside since nobody is on my wheel. It takes them quite a while to meet up at the stop light. Finally rabbit boy figures it out and we all enjoy several miles at a steady pace, until we went our separate ways.

I'm guessing rabbit boy rides alone a lot. Either he rides other riders off his rear wheel, or riders who aren't into who can go fastest on a Sunday morning ride go their own way without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment